728 x 90

Cigarette causes blaze

img

A carelessly discarded cigarette just about ended in tragedy at a Whitmore Avenue apartment building over the weekend.
Dauphin Fire Department responded to a report of a fire shortly after 4 a.m., Saturday.
The building manager met fighters as they arrived at the scene and directed fire crews to a fire in one of the apartments.
He told firefighters he had tried to enter with an extinguisher, but there was too much heat and smoke.
The lone resident of the apartment was able to escape and reported that his dog was still inside.
Firefighters located the dog and brought it out to fresh air to revive, while a second crew located the fire in the bedroom area and quickly extinguished the flames.
The dog was transported to the Dauphin Vet Clinic for treatment.
The occupant was seen to by EMS for smoke inhalation and released at the scene.
There are no other injuries and there are no estimates on damages at this time.
Firefighters remained on scene until approximately 6:30 a.m. in order to remove smoke from the remainder of the building.

img
Staff Writer
REPORTER
img