728 x 90

DFD Kept Busy

img

Dauphin fire department has been busy recently, responding to several calls this past week
At approximately 6 p.m., Dec. 28, 2021, firefighters were dispatched to a structure fire several miles northwest of Dauphin.

Upon arrival firefighters found a two-car garage fully engulfed in flames. Crews set up their lines and started to protect a car that was parked in front of the garage before beginning to extinguish the main body of fire.

The fire was deemed accidental in nature, determined to have been caused by a heat lamp that was located in a lean-to built on the side of the garage.

There weer no injuries as a result of the fire and no estimate on the cost of damages at this time.

At approximately 9:30 p.m., Dec. 29, 2021, firefighters were back in action, responding to a report of fire alarms at Credit Union Place.

Upon arrival firefighters were met by Dauphin Recreation Services staff who reported the alarm panel indicated an issue in a stairwell in the curling rink area of the facility.

When facility staff went to investigate they saw smoke coming from a wall heater and immediately went to shut off the breaker supplying power to the heater.

Firefighters used thermal imaging cameras to ensure there was no fire spread inside of the walls and cleared the remainder of the facility.

Thanks to the quick actions of DRS staff, the damage was limited to the wall heater.

There are no estimates on damages at this time.

Shortly before 10 a.m., Dec. 30, 2021, firefighters responded to a report of a vehicle fire in the parking lot behind a building on Whitmore Avenue East. While enroute 911 updated DFD that fire alarms were now sounding inside of the structure.

Upon arrival fire fighters were met by the facility manager who reported smoke from the fire entered the air handling unit for the building and activated the fire alarm system. The fire was confined to the vehicle and had not spread to the building.

Firefighters extinguished the vehicle fire and assisted with resetting the fire alarm system in the building.

Firefighters extend their appreciation to one of the tenants of the building who was shoveling snow onto the fire until the arrival of the fire department.

The fire originated from a cord used for the block heater in the vehicle. DFD reminds the public to ensure cords are examined for any damage. In extreme cold temperatures as the area is currently experiencing, cords become brittle and the wires inside the cord may break. This break then begins to arc and depending on where the arc occurs, if there is enough material near it to burn, it will ignite and the fire will continue to grow.

Shortly after 6 p.m., Jan. 1, firefighters were dispatched to a report of smoke in a home several miles southwest of Dauphin.

Upon arrival fire fighters were met by the homeowner that reported the house filled with smoke after building up a fire in the wood stove. Crews climbed to the roof and inspected the chimney to find it was blocked by an accumulation of ice.

The past few days, extremely cold temperatures caused a freeze thaw condition in the chimney, eventually blocking it off completely.

Thankfully the owner recognized there was an issue as soon as they noticed the smoke coming back into the home.

The owner was commended as the chimney itself was otherwise clear and well maintained.

Shortly past 4 p.m., Jan. 2, the department responded to general fire alarms sounding at a commercial property on Whitmore Avenue East.

Firefighters were met upon arrival by staff who reported a sprinkler pipe had burst in an unheated area, and they had shut off the water supply.

Due to the accumulation of water on the floor, firefighters assisted by using squeegees and snow shovels to move the water from the building. There are no estimates on damages at this time.

That same day, at approximately 9:20 p.m., firefighters responded to a report of a fire in an apartment on Macleod Avenue East.

Upon arrival firefighters were informed the fire was located in the bathroom of an apartment on the third floor. Crews were immediately sent into the apartment to begin extinguishment and evacuate all apartments on the floor, while members of the RCMP assisted with evacuation of the remainder of the complex. All tenants were able to safely exit the apartment complex.

The tenants of the suite involved in the fire were treated by EMS for smoke inhalation, while another tenant was treated for a hand injury, caused during his attempts to help extinguish the fire prior to the fire department’s arrival.

Firefighters were able to contain the fire to two of the suites as the fire had spread in a shared wall. After ensuring the fire was extinguished, crews assisted with water removal to prevent further damage to the apartments located on lower floors.

The majority of the tenants were allowed back into their apartments that were unaffected by the fire, smoke and water.

Those that were directly affected were supplied with alternative accommodations by the owners of the apartment complex.

The cause of the fire is accidental in nature due to carelessly discarded smoking materials and there are no estimates on damages at this time.

img
Staff Writer
REPORTER
img