728 x 90

Space Heater Starts Blaze At Jackson St. Home

img

Dauphin firefighters endured freezing temperatures to battle a house fire in the city, last week.

At approximately 9:45 a.m., Jan. 7, Dauphin Fire Department was dispatched to the scene of a house fire on Jackson Street.

Upon arrival fire fighters were met by the tenant of the basement suite who reported she smelled smoke in the apartment, and upon inspection saw there was a fire in the upper suite.

Firefighters entered the upper suite and found heavy smoke throughout with the fire located in the living room.

The fire was brought under control while additional crews ensured there was no one inside the building. While there were no occupants located, the firefighters did find a pet that they were unable to resuscitate. The fire is deemed to be accidental in nature. An electric heater had come into contact with some nearby combustible items.

The fire spread rapidly prior to the 911 call, but was contained to the upper suite.

There are no injuries as a result of the fire and no estimates on damages at this time.

The call came on the heels of a response to fire alarms when, at approximately 5 p.m., Jan. 6, the department was dispatched to a report of alarms sounding at the Dauphin Medical Clinic.

Firefighters were met by building representatives upon arrival who reported the smell of smoke in an area of the structure.

Firefighters searched inside the building using thermal imaging and inspected the roof top ventilation units.

A unit heater in the suspended ceiling that had experienced an electrical short was identified as the origin of the incident.

The electrical breaker to the unit was isolated and damages are limited to the individual heater with no spread to the surrounding area.

img
Staff Writer
REPORTER
img